.What are Complete Streets?
The N.C. Department of Transportation adopted a “Complete Streets” policy in July 2009. The policy directs the Department to consider and incorporate several modes of transportation when building new projects or making improvements to existing infrastructure. The benefits of this new approach include:
- Making it easier for travelers to get where they need to go;
- Encouraging the use of alternative forms of transportation;
- Building more sustainable communities;
- Increasing connectivity between neighborhoods, streets, and transit systems;
- Improving safety for pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists.
On this website you can learn why Complete Streets are important, find useful guidance in implementing the Complete Streets policy, and learn how to participate in regional workshops and training courses to learn more about Complete Streets in North Carolina.